Bachelor of Civil Engineering (BE Civil) focuses on professional engineering that deals with the planning, designing, constructing, and maintaining of the physical infrastructure built in the natural environment. The programme deals with the construction of public works or private projects like all sorts of roads, bridges, tunnels, channels, canals, helipads, airports, dams, buildings, parks or sports complexes. Civil engineering is all about helping people and shaping the world. Clearly, it will continue to play a key role, particularly in the reconstruction of post-quake Nepal.
Key Learning Outcomes
• Acquire a knowledge of scientific principles & materials in construction engineering and the building sector
• Enable graduates to make objective, technical, and thrifty decisions in the broad field of civil engineering
• Excel in solving problems in teams or independently through skills nurtured by training such as project work or internships
• Engage in lifelong learning & application in areas related to structural, transportation, geo-technical or environmental engineering
• Get the qualifications and confidence to become practising engineers or community leaders in the emerging fields of Civil Engineering
There are many job opportunities in the public sector, with local authorities, in government departments and environmental organizations for Civil Engineers.
BE Civil Engineering graduates have fine career prospects in infrastructure construction buildings, transport, and communications. This includes bridges, roads, tunnels, dams, and canals. They get work of national or local importance in producing, storing, and distributing electricity, gas, and water.
Civil engineers get worthwhile employment with varied contractors and consultancies and also work for diverse national and multinational organizations.
Careers by area
Materials Science and Engineering Quality Controllers in different projects to ensure safety in construction
Earthquake Engineering Consulting Engineers and Seismic Analysts in construction companies and private or public organizations for public safety
Environmental Engineering Environmentalists in different INGOs, NGOs, and governmental sectors for monitoring
Geotechnical Engineering Consulting Engineers and Geotechnical Engineers or Investigators in INGOs, NGOs, and governmental sectors
Water Resource Engineering Hydropower or Irrigation Engineers
Structural Engineering Structural Designers and Analysts for Structural Modeling
Surveying Land Surveyors for Revenue or Land Record Departments
Transportation Engineering Consulting or Traffic Engineers and Transportation Planners in road projects, railways, tunneling, aerodrome construction or maintenance
Municipal or Urban Engineering Urban Planners for holistic development
Environmental Hydrology and Hydraulic Engineering Engineers in hydropower or irrigation projects, governmental offices, NGOs, or INGOs
Construction Management Construction or Project Managers in the governmental or private sector and construction industries